11 July 2014

Five Minute Friday ~ Blessed to Belong, right here... right now...


One of my biggers tiptoed into my room late one night and gently tapped my foot to get my attention and wake me up. 

"Huh?" I asked through my sleep-fogged brain. 

I'd actually fallen asleep quite a bit earlier than normal and the older kids were just heading to bed. I was tired, so I tried to roll over and bury my head back under the covers.

"No, Mama. You've got to see the picture," replied the bigger.

"What? I think I'm still asleep. You want me to open my eyes?" I yawned.

"Come on, Mama! It is so sweet."

Inwardly I groaned. All three of my female biggers are Pinteresters. I finally got an account so they could send me funny pins that I could put onto a board and then giggle when I had time to peruse said board. I figured she wanted to show me some silly Disney pin ... or cat pin... or horse pin... or wolf pin... or... Well, that list could probably go on an on.

"Pleeeeeeeze..." she whined.

I rubbed my eyes and blinked as she turned on the picture preview on the camera. I could barely see it at first - the light was a bit blinding - but there was a picture of Jonathan and Elsie Mae, side by side and sound asleep on the bottom bunk. A reading light hung down from the slats above them; Jonathan had been reading to his little sis to help her fall asleep. Also laying right there in a row beside them was teddy bear that's almost as big as they are so that Jonathan didn't have to sleep on the outside of the bed. The bear is M&M's - she must have brought the bear in so that it could "look out for and watch over" her buddies - her big sis and big bro.

That photo wasn't remarkable, but it was sweet.

It reminds me of just how blessed I am to belong to a family where the biggers think it is so sweet to see their siblings being best of friends and looking out for each other... so sweet, in fact, that they'd snap a photo and then wake their mama up...

...just to share a tiny taste of that sweet kindness with me.

Who cares about an uninterrupted eight hours of sleep when I get to belong to something so amazing?

******************************************************
Linking up here for Five Minute Friday this week.
Hope you can join us!


8 comments:

  1. Beautiful story and great picture to go with it! You are truly blessed!

    Stopping in from FMF to say thanks for sharing this story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i agree - very blessed!

      thanks for stopping by. :-)

      Delete
  2. Awww...that's great. And I agree with you....who cares...beauty sleep is overrated anyway. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story! I get grumble-y when I get woke up, then feel pretty silly when it's to be shown something awesome that my littles have created! Their excitement makes it all worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - It really does. Although the temptation to get grumble-y with my biggers waking me up is much bigger than when it is one of the littles. :-) They should know better, right?

      Delete
  4. I love it. That's one of my favorite things, seeing my kids care for each other. My youngest and middle child are best of friends and my oldest looks out for both of them. I do love sleep but that's pretty sweet. Isn't it weird when they get to the age where you're in bed before them? It's summer and I'm always in bed before my oldest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love watching them watch out for each other. #3 & #4 have been best friends for as long as they've been old enough to claim that. The same is appearing to be true for #s 7 & 8... but they all just love to hang out together... most of the time.

      Oh, how I WISH I was in bed before my oldest three most nights... but alas, it doesn't happen very often. :_)

      Delete

Stop in for a chat! I love to hear what you have to say ~

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails