24 March 2014

Home Assignment Blues

I remember when I used to think that teachers had the best job in the world BECAUSE they had a whole summer vacation.
Many of my Nigerien friends think that that distinction actually belongs to missionaries on home assignment BECAUSE they have a whole YEAR vacation.
Halfway through our home assignment year, halfway through our fourth home assignment year, halfway through my first home assignment year with a parcel of teenagers, my response is “UGH!”
Eloquent, I know.
I also know that “vacation” is a definite misnomer, even if the blog, Facebook and prayer letter photos sometimes seem to contradict that statement.
2014031220140119_170850
We’ve been on the road almost every weekend of the last three months. We’ve been in or traveled through nine different states. We’ve visited over ten of our partnering churches and have also caught up with some of our individual supporters. And our kids have mostly been back to school on time by Monday morning, every week.
Most of our traveling happens on the weekends. Friday evenings, after school lets out, are usually filled with high school games, school activities or visiting – sometimes just for fun but not always. Saturdays are times to clean the house, catch up on laundry, make sure homework is mostly done, tournaments and other competitions take place, big girls work their jobs, more visits with more people. Sometimes we need to leave on Saturday to get to where we need to be on Sunday. Sometimes we leave before the sun’s even up on a Sunday morning and the only life at our home church is the snow crew shoveling and salting in preparation for their Sunday morning services. Sometimes, not even the snow crew is out and about....
*************************************************
If you wanna read the rest, please head on over to a life overseas: the missions conversation ~
I'm up for any ideas and suggestions you might care to add to this conversation!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Interesting insight.. I can understand a little bit because I travel quite a bit, to Jamaica for missions trips, to camp in the summer for several weeks, to visit & help my family, etc - but I rarely have what I would consider a vacation! There may be "vacationlike" moments here and there. It's hard to fill up a weekend and then hit the ground running on mondays. Hang in there! :)
    Frances

    ReplyDelete

Stop in for a chat! I love to hear what you have to say ~

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails