23 January 2014

Encountering Jesus ~ Confusion and Disagreement



Jesus said, “I am with you for only a short time, and then I am going to the one who sent me. You will look for me, but you will not find me; and where I am, you cannot come.” 
The Jews said to one another, “Where does this man intend to go that we cannot find him? Will he go where our people live scattered among the Greeks, and teach the Greeks? What did he mean when he said, ‘You will look for me, but you will not find me,’ and ‘Where I am, you cannot come’?” 
On the last and greatest day of the festival, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, “Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them.” By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive. Up to that time the Spirit had not been given, since Jesus had not yet been glorified. 
On hearing his words, some of the people said, “Surely this man is the Prophet.” 
Others said, “He is the Messiah.” 
Still others asked, “How can the Messiah come from Galilee? Does not Scripture say that the Messiah will come from David’s descendants and from Bethlehem, the town where David lived?” Thus the people were divided because of Jesus. Some wanted to seize him, but no one laid a hand on him.
Jesus said things that were hard to understand. Things that were confusing. Things that didn't make sense. Things that could be interpreted in several different ways - when listeners relied on what made sense to finite minds. Things that rocked people's boat and with which they disagreed.

And those who heard His words had some pretty typical responses. Jesus divided people... The word picture is a ripped or torn item of clothing.
1. Some recognized Him as a prophet.
2. Some discredited Him and looked for any reason that they could say He wasn't Who He said He was.
3. Some sought to silence Him.
4. Others took a leap... and recognized Him as Messiah.

He still divides today... His Words in the same way of course.

Lately, however, I've been shocked to see how much He shows me my divided heart and mind... Those things He's taught and areas in my life where:
1. I recognize valuable and convicting teaching... but leave it in the realm of wise, good ideas but not necessarily for me.
2. I don't like what I'm understanding Him to say so I stop trying to understand or I look for reasons to question what I'm hearing, ways to continue in my unbelief and disagreement.
3. Sometimes I just tuck my Bible away and refuse to read or study those hard passages that confront me with who I really am.
4. And sometimes, beautiful-growing-trusting-times, when by Holy Spirit grace, I understand, believe, take a leap and then act on that belief.

Like that one daddy in the Bible cried out... "Lord I believe. Now help all my unbelieving!"

this week's gratitude list
(#'s 4360 - 4386)

frosty sleigh rides

little boy tumbles followed by

little girl giggles

envelopes stuffed

challenging questions

hearing from an unexpected person that they heard the between the lines story - and it impacted them

ministering with my big girlies

well-child visits and corresponding lab tests behind us until birthdays start up again

our greater than great pediatrician, the office & nursing staff and the physician's assistant at the office we use - more than once I've wished I could pack them in a suitcase and take them to Africa with us

protection for a tiny one

a new desk

decluttering

new-to-me-dishes that weren't what I expected but for which I'm very thankful

snowy days

winter sunshine

cross-country skis

toasty electric blanket

checks on that to-do list

rearranging and removing

finally finding the leak

reaching a goal - setting a new one

enjoying some really good reads

funny conversations and giggles with my girlies about handsome phlebotomists

teenage daughters

sweatshirts and turtlenecks

snow shovels

snow boots

thermal socks

  
Ten most recent posts in this series: 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop in for a chat! I love to hear what you have to say ~

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails