26 August 2013

Encountering Jesus ~ Bread of Heaven... Bread of Life...



Then they said to Him, "Lord, give us always this bread." 
Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty. But as I told you, you have seen me and still you do not believe. All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away. For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.” (John 6.34-40)
Last week, I finished by asking myself what "every whens" I'm insisting Jesus meet or fill or satisfy... at my whim and at my demand.

Remember that "every whens" means that the moment I think I want or need something, I expect Jesus to handle it for me. But its not only that. I also expect Him to do so in a matter pre-approved by me...

Hmmmmmm... and with those types of thoughts rattling around, just who am I actually worshipping as a god?

I'm convicted that it isn't great "I AM" as He describes Himself in the Bible. 

It means, instead, that for all practical purposes, I want to place my trust in a god who operates a lot more like a magic genie in a bottle to grant me my wants and perceived needs than wanting to rest in the goodness of an Almighty Who is unchanging and always good... but untameable and unpredictable with thoughts so far and high and above mine that I'm just not going to understand - a really big chunk of the time.

I forget that that's the way it should be. 

Who wants to worship a god who always makes sense to the finite, fallible, corrupt and often weak mind... whose actions always soothe this troubled, unsettled, battling against self and often what's right soul? 

Sometimes...??? 

Sometimes I think I want that sort of God...

 ...until I taste sweet once again 
...until I remember what it means to rest 
in the care of the Always True and Ever Almighty One.

And a sweet taste is what Jesus then tells this group of people that that sort of all-dependent-all-trusting-ever-choosing-the-resting hoping and believing in Christ is... that that is Who and What He Is.

Commentators, theologians and brilliant minds have dissected the words of Jesus in the passage quoted above. They've studied and debated applications to daily life. Pastors have preached on the significance of those words as they relate to our eternal future and security. 

However, as I'm in the midst of a differently busy week (even though most of the kids are with hubby and I'm off taking oldest bigger to college), my thoughts and prayers and meditations have flitted here, there and everywhere. But, as I've been able to read and think on Jesus' words above... they've been the perfect prescription for my heart in these days.


 this week's gratitude list
(#'s 4104 - 4123)

time with Brendan as he moves in and transitions to life at Messiah College

safety traveling

hubby, family and friends who step in to help hubby with the rest of the gang 
while I'm gone

meeting lots of new people - even though it is tiring

a queen bed, all to myself - for the first time EVER in my life, I think

crashing a church picnic - and finding my old pastor from my college days pastoring a church near where Bren will be attending

safety traveling

20 seconds of play in a vball tournament, and learning to keep the serve/receive books that was so exciting for her

looking forward to camping with friends over Labor Day Weekend

loving my trimmed hair

hanging out in central PA

sunshine and beautiful weather

free wifi



























forgotten stuff is in the mail

cell phone photo of littles singing

that the car trouble wasn't serious

a little white truck with a radio to occupy my mind while driving

looking forward to a visit from Niger friends - a buddy for me and one for Bren

dear friend flying into Harrisburg tomorrow... and my girlies are so jealous


  

Ten most recent posts in this series: 

2 comments:

  1. Richelle,

    Lovely to meet you. I'm hopping over from Ann's link up. It sounds like you normally live in Niger, and are currently in PA for perhaps a furlough? I used to live in West Africa too, in Liberia and Cote d'Ivoire. How long have you been in Niger?

    It looks like you just had a son start college too. :) My eldest just moved onto a Christian college too, and we are so thrilled for him.

    Have a lovely week,
    Jennifer Dougan
    www.jenniferdougan.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been in Niger for over 13 years. And we are in the States on home assignment where MI is our furlough home. Our oldest is attending school in PA. He had a great week of orientation and we're all super excited to see what this year holds for him.

      Delete

Stop in for a chat! I love to hear what you have to say ~

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails