29 January 2013

Those "s" words: shhhhhh...


Last week I read a blog post, "The Scandal of the Evangelical Heart," that I've been thinking about ever since. I'd already been thinking somewhat along those same lines, already in the process of writing what I posted yesterday.

That word scandal, in today's language, can mean:

shocking
outrageous
disgraceful
immoral
shameful
indecent
disreputable
appalling
reprehensible
wicked

None of those words have a truly positive connotation... although shocking and outrageous are, perhaps, a little less negative.

What about the etymology of the word?
The word comes from the Greek, skandalon, meaning "a trap or snare laid for an enemy." One of its earliest recorded uses was in the New Testament, metaphorically, as "a stumbling block, an offense." It's original literal meaning was "a trap with a springing device" and was composed from two Greek words one meaning "to jump" and the other "to make to stumble or give offense to someone." It was also closely related to the word slander. 
Early in the thirteenth century, the Latin scandalum, "a cause for offense, stumbling block, temptation" is recorded.
In Middle French during the 1580s, scandale meant "discredit caused by irreligious conduct." 
During the 1590s, the idea of scandal as "malicious gossip," originated while its use in the sense of a "person who conducts him/herself disgracefully" appeared in the 1630s.
I find it fascinating that according to the etymological dictionary, the first significant use of the literary ancestor to the word scandal that we use today occurred in the New Testament, and that it referred to the Christ.

As best I can tell, the authors used this word when writing the books that make up the New Testament, and according to Thayer, in those contexts, it meant:
  1. the movable stick or trigger of a trap, a trap stick
  2. a trap, snare
  3. any impediment placed in the way and causing one to stumble or fall, (a stumbling block, occasion of stumbling) i.e. a rock which is a cause of stumbling
  4. fig[uratively] applied to Jesus Christ, whose person and career were so contrary to the expectations of the Jews concerning the Messiah, that they rejected him and by their obstinacy made shipwreck of their salvation
  5. any person or thing by which one is (entrapped) drawn into error or sin
What are some of those verses?
  • But He turned and said to Peter, "Get behind Me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to Me; for you are not setting your mind on God's interests, but man's." (Matthew 16:23)
  • “Woe to the world because of its stumbling blocks! For it is inevitable that stumbling blocks come; but woe to that man through whom the stumbling block comes!" (Matthew 18:7)
  • ...but we preach Christ crucified, to Jews a stumbling block and to Gentiles foolishness... (1 Corinthians 1:23)
  • But I, brethren, if I still preach circumcision, why am I still persecuted? Then the stumbling block of the cross has been abolished. (Galatians 5:11)
  • Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather determine this-- not to put an obstacle or a stumbling block in a brother's way. (Romans 14:3)
  • The one who loves his brother abides in the Light and there is no cause for stumbling in him. (1 John 2:10)

and

  • Blessed is he who does not take offense at Me. (Luke 7:23 - slightly different form of the Greek word)
Biblically, it seems that when an individual first come to Jesus, s/he will be offended by Who He is, what He has done and all that He represents. I've never had a hard time accepting and understanding that because the Bible teaches it. Why then, do I assume that as I continue to grow in my knowledge and understanding of Him, as my relationship with Him deepens, that I would not continue to run into things that offend me and my finite, human sensibilities? 

I certainly find that to be the case... 

and I believe I shortchange myself out of the wrestling with God that ended up blessing Jacob if I simply refuse to accept or admit the existence of that offense...

becoming the proverbial ostrich with my head buried in the sand.

It also seems to me that God doesn't get nearly as upset with me when I find or take offense in Jesus as our relationship grows - as He does when I, in arrogance and pride or in ignorance and foolishness, become that stumbling block to someone else.


I'd like to close with the words to a song that has powerfully ministered to my heart in regards to this question... many years ago and again this past week.



Skandalon
Michael Card

The seers and the prophets had foretold it long ago
That the long awaited one would make men stumble
But they were looking for a king to conquer and to kill
Who'd have ever thought He'd be so weak and humble

He will be the truth that will offend them one and all
A stone that makes men stumble
And a rock that makes them fall
Many will be broken so that He can make them whole
And many will be crushed and lose their own soul

Along the path of life there lies a stubborn Scandalon
And all who come this way must be offended
To some He is a barrier, To others He's the way
For all should know the scandal of believing

He will be the truth that will offend them one and all
A stone that makes men stumble
And a rock that makes them fall
Many will be broken so that He can make them whole
And many will be crushed and lose their own soul

It seems today the Scandalon offends no one at all
The image we present can be stepped over
Could it be that we are like the others long ago
Will we ever learn that all who come must stumble

He will be the truth that will offend them one and all
A stone that makes men stumble
And a rock that makes them fall
Many will be broken so that He can make them whole
And many will be crushed and lose their own soul

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop in for a chat! I love to hear what you have to say ~

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails