03 December 2012

Encountering Jesus ~ "You are... You will be..."

Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother, was one of the two who heard what John had said and who had followed Jesus. The first thing Andrew did was to find his brother Simon and tell him, “We have found the Messiah” (that is, the Christ). And he brought him to Jesus.
Jesus looked at him and said, “You are Simon son of John. You will be called Cephas” (which, when translated, is Peter). (John 1:40-43)

Is it just me, or does this seems like an anti-climatic "confirmation of call" to ministry? 

After all, this is Peter - the guy who would walk on water, who could both encourage and then dismay in almost the next breath, who would fail Jesus mightily, who would be mightily used of God to lead His church in those beginning years... Paul's conversion and call to ministry was nothing short of miraculous and amazing. I guess, if I didn't already know the story, would have expected something similar for Peter. Fireworks exploding or the like!

That just isn't the case. 

Sometimes the one called only knows that God has quietly given a new name... a new identity... as His ambassador. 

That means something to me as a missionary, as one convinced He called me to serve on the mission field, ever since kindergarten (no kidding!).

There really isn't much to the story. Andrew comes home after meeting the Lord. He tells his brother that he'd found the Messiah and then takes him to meet Jesus. Once there, Jesus identifies who he is: "You are Simon..." and then gives him a new identity: "You will be called Cephas."

This isn't the first time people have been given a new identity when God places His hand on their life. Think of Abraham... Sarah... Jacob... Joseph... Daniel... Paul...

God doesn't clearly give His reasons, although we can certainly make some guesses from what we read. Possibly, He's showing each one of them they are now embarking on the mission, the one for which He created them. The new name clues the receiver in on  God's divine plan while reassuring them that He still orchestrates all. 

Those name changes seem to correspond to life changes resulting in very different people, each time. Only thing? The change doesn't always happen immediately. Sometimes it takes time. Abraham didn't immediately become a father of multitudes... Simon still had much growing to do before he became recognizable as Peter, key leader and preacher in God's newly established church.

I find that so encouraging. 

God recognizes me for who I will become, by His grace, someday... not simply me, who I am, today.



It reminds me of a song I once signed for a friend at her wedding... the words of which still play through my mind today (even though I cannot recall all of the signs...)

The now and the not yet... 

No longer what we were before, but not all that we will be.
Tomorrow, when we lock the door, on all our compromising,
When He appears,
He'll draw us near, and we'll be changed by His glory,
Wrapped up in His glory....

No longer what we saw before, but not all that we will see.
Tomorrow, when we lock the door, on all our disbelieving,
When He appears,
Our view will clear, And we'll be changed by His glory,
Wrapped up in His glory....

But I'm caught in between
The now and the not yet;
Sometimes it seems like
Forever and ever,
That I've been reaching to be
All that I am,
But I'm only a few steps nearer,
Yet I'm nearer....

No longer what we saw before, but not all that we will see.
Tomorrow, when we lock the door, on all our disbelieving,
When He appears,
Our view will clear, And we'll be changed by His glory,
Wrapped up in His glory....


this week's gratitude list:

(#'s 3334 -3349) 

M&M is healthy - even in December she's one of our only kids still braving the frigid pool waters, swimming the length of the pool on Saturday

M&M's 4th birthday!

Anna's 12th birthday... coming up this week!

enjoying a movie just with my Anna-girl

funnel cakes at the Christmas Bazaar

package from home

Christmas cards beginning to arrive

last week of classes before the semester break

a pile of books to read over the holidays

beginning to more concretely dream of Scotland this summer

finishing a really fun read - a book of essays (yes, geeky, I know!) called Old Songs in a New Café, by Robert James Waller

finally watching Survivor Africa - after wanting to for so many years

Christmas carols

a to-do list where I'm finally checking off more each day than gets added!

remembering old songs that still encourage and challenge

God recognizes and treats me for who He is making me to be, not simply who I am today.

learning to see others (particularly my kids) that same way... who they are becoming, who God is making them to be - not just who they are and how they act today



Posts in this series:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop in for a chat! I love to hear what you have to say ~

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails