02 July 2012

Multitude Monday - 1000 Gifts - Some days it is just plain hard to be thankful...

...and last Monday was one of those days.

Last Monday was the first time I've not posted on a Multitude Monday since I began, simply because I chose not to - rather than because of internet issues or some sort of crises.

Why?

I was just overwhelmed with the hardness of goodbye.

I was tired of holding back tears because after lives have entertwined, the best I can hope or now is the occasional intersection.

I started to feel hypocritcal clinging to "See ya later," when I knew I probably wouldn't, but was still too cowardly to let others see the depth of emotion I was feeling. Once those tears started, I wasn't sure when they'd end.

In a nutshell, I was feeling sorry for myself and I didn't want to think about being grateful. I wanted to wallow in my misery.

Then somewhere - probably on Facebook - I ran across the oft repeated quote by Dr. Seuss:

“Don't cry because it's over.

Smile because it happened.”



...and I realized yet once again

I wouldn't trade all the hurt that accompanies goodbyes. Because it does hurt so much, that means I have:
  • tons treasured moments and memories, 
  • gifts of godly, amazing friendships with those who are or who've become family,
  • a precious privilege of parting from those who've shared their lives, their very selves,... and thus become a part of my life and my story while allowing me to enter their story,
  • the conundrum of saying "Farewell!" as the departing carries a piece of my heart far away with them. 

Yes it hurts, but I've no real reason to mope and feel sorry for myself. Rather, I've mountains of motivation to be thankful... It was Maya Angelou who said, “I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” My life is filled with folks, all over this globe, our family will never, ever forget!

I wish I had photos of each and every one of them...


So yes, some days it IS just plain hard to be thankful, but it IS ALWAYS the better choice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

this week's gratitude list:
(#s 2261 - 2289)


impossible missions that become possible with God


unexpected friends, unexpected goodbyes (at least those ones, you don't have to dread)


sisters being silly

a delightful cousin who became the big sister for a year




silliness, Tori style


finding them snugglin' for yet another "girl" talk... even if I thought they were doing something different...


tough girls who'll dance through bamboo poles at 11 o'clock at night - trust me, ya don't wanna mess with these gals!


"Uncle" Joe giving us an excuse to put Andi to work in the kitchen

And Andi has learned her way around the kitchen pretty well this year - she can cook for me ANYTIME!!!

sprinkles for cakes

cocoa to make chocolate cakes

new dresses from Gammie & Gampy



little girls with chocolate mustaches

chocolate mustaches that tattle on little girls sneaking cake even before the birthday boy


adopted grandparents

real grandkids that loan us their grandparents for a few months

little girl snuggled on a lap, listening to a story

little boy reading over their shoulders

folks that let her love and just loved on her back, encouraging her to love reading (because it was quality time) even if she wasn't doing it perfectly yet




real live heroes for me to look up to... and I do!



Ryan, together again with his "Wrightlings" (he coined the term to describe our gang)

the fact that he gets them all smiling and laughing like just about no one else can




favorite friends

friends helping friends (even when the help isn't always successul)

good intentions

smiling as I look at the photos of Jayson and Elsie Mae


little kid innocence and genuineness



Mr. Stan, Ms. Mary and DJ & how they've loved on these kiddos through the years

Looking forward to seeing them again... sometime... even before we'd said goodbye





No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop in for a chat! I love to hear what you have to say ~

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails