17 May 2011

God works in strange and mysterious ways...

Just have a few moments ~ 

but I want to share a story from the most recent Bible study I taught at our church... I've shared before several times how one challenge is getting these women to open up and share... and that we've been making baby steps in that direction as they begin to believe that God does speak to them individually, within their hearts and that what He shares with them might be valid, encouraging, convicting... His words to other ladies in our group.

Blessed is the man
who walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly
Nor standeth in the way of sinners
Nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
But...
his delight is in the law of the Lord
and in His law doth he meditate
day and night.

We were working our way through Psalm 1:1,2... word by word... a combination of French translated into Zarma, Hausa and even Gourmantché... when our pastor's wife (and my translator) had to leave. Visitors arrived to give their condolences for a cousin who had died the week before, and culturally, she had no choice but to go and visit with them. That left me with 4 ladies, one of whom knew a bit of French but was terrified to try and translate... and the rest who spoke and understood very little French... thus Zarma was the closest we had to a common language.

Amina looks at me with a smile as she leaves and says, essentially, "You'll have to muddle your way through...," and so I did the only thing I knew to do ~

We continued working through the passage word by word, in Zarma. As we came to each word, I'd say something to the effect of, "OK, explain to me what this word means. Teach me how to use it in your language and then why do you think God has it here in His Holy Book?" I understood very little of the discussion that would ensue... understanding rapid fire Zarma is definitely not a part of my skill set... yet... (and I've begged and pleaded with the Lord to open my ears to understand and learn it more rapidly), but the ladies certainly got excited over what they were discussing and from the bits and pieces I was able to comprehend, seemed to stay on subject. Between that, my limited Zarma, Mme Mattheiu's limited French and willingness to try and translate and, of course, lots of pantomime (which was a source of much laughter), we did in fact muddle our way through.

As I left Bible study that day, I was once again humbled by the fact that God doesn't need me to teach these ladies to love and live His Word, but it sure is my privilege to participate in whichever way He deems appropriate and best for that day.

Pray with me that God grows in these women an insatiable desire to meditate on His Word... day and night... and to seek counsel there first, meditating... listening for His still small voice... seeking and hearing Him above all the other avenues that are oft more easily accessible and available.

And if you wouldn't mind, pray that same prayer for me too...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop in for a chat! I love to hear what you have to say ~

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails