27 March 2009

Sometimes--- Some days---

Here are some pictures that at times I find funny, but other times they make me want to cry. I've been thinking about this since I did a recent post where I interviewed each of the children, asking them what they think about their mother, what she does, etc. (I intend to do the same interview with them about their daddy in the near future, too!) I found it interesting and somewhat amusing that the littles were more aware of what their mama does as far as ministry than the biggers, but then perhaps these pictures show why.

Whether I'm translating, writing or working on Sheep Tales with Sam (as I am in these particular pictures), preparing for/actually teaching one of the two Bible studies with which I'm involved, planning lessons for home school, responding to "situations" at the French School, keeping up correspondance with our prayer and financial supporters... it is always with at least one, if not more, children in tow.

Most times I love that.

But some days...

...it is hard not to get frustrated, jealous and, occasionally, even a little bit angry.

I'd really rather not be negotiating with the teachers or conducting/sitting in a meeting with a baby who is fussy because I ate spicy food that had been graciously offered while I was visiting with someone.

I'd love two or three hours to prepare for Bible study (and no, not frm 2-5 in the morning, when I should really be sleeping) when all is silent and there are no children to interrupt.

I wonder what it is like to work on the computer without my foot bouncing a baby in her chair.

I know - this is a season in my life and someday I will miss and treasure these days; but sometimes, some days, especially when I'm tired and I'm looking at all that well-meaning others insist "urgently" needs to be done, it is easy to feel overwhelmed, discouraged, and wish I was only two and could have my own meltdown...

Instead, I'm trying to choose to meditate on the following two passages of Scripture:

  • "So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience; bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you. Beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity. Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body; and be thankful. Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God. Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father." Col 3:12-17 (NASU)
  • "Therefore if there is any encouragement in Christ, if there is any consolation of love, if there is any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and compassion, make my joy complete by being of the same mind, maintaining the same love, united in spirit, intent on one purpose. Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others. Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus..." Phil 2:1-6 (NASU)

3 comments:

  1. I'm nodding along with you - and feeling kinda dumb since I just have 2 littles...Thanks for the verses. That was a huge encouragement to me, and I am sure that they will come in handy as my "season" continues!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't feel dumb... two littles are two handfuls! In theory, I've got bigs who can help me... but then sometimes, some days - that's part of the battle. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't feel dumb... two littles are two handfuls! In theory, I've got bigs who can help me... but then sometimes, some days - that's part of the battle. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Stop in for a chat! I love to hear what you have to say ~

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails