05 September 2008

"Glory"

My most recent "favorite" song is "Glory" by Selah/Nichole Nordeman. I can't explain exactly why... probably the direction the Holy Spirit has been taking the meditations of my heart lately... If you like the song, too, and want to listen - you can play it from the sidebar.

"Glory"
Words & Music by Nichole Nordeman
One day eyes that are blind will see you clearly
And one day all who deny will finally believe
One day hearts made of stone will break in pieces
And one day chains once unbroken will fall down at your feet
So we wait for that one day come quickly

Chorus: We want to see your Glory
Every knee falls down before thee
Every tongue offers you praise
With every hand raised
Singing Glory
To you and unto you only
We'll sing Glory to Your name

One day voices that lie will all be silent
One day all that's divided will be whole again
One day death will retreat and wave it's white flag
One day love will defeat the strongest enemy
So we wait for that one day come quickly

Chorus: We want to see your Glory
Every knee falls down before thee
Every tongue offers you praise
With every hand raised
Singing Glory
To you and unto you only
We'll sing Glory to Your name

We know not the day or the hour
Or the moments in between
But we know the end of the story
When we'll see your Glory
Every knee falls down before thee
Every tongue offers you praise
With every hand raised
Singing Glory
To you and unto you only
We'll sing Glory to Your name

I was listening to "Glory" yesterday while working on Ladies' Bible study (for this Saturday - please be praying) on our laptop. Brendan was working on homework on the desktop (he was writing a poem... after studying a Victor Hugo poem about sowing and the harvest... and then searching for verses about the harvest in the Bible... all in French!). He must have been listening to the words of the song more intently than I imagined, (pretty incredible, when you remember that the song is in English and he was writing and reading French). All of the sudden, I heard a quiet "Mom?" from his corner of the room.

"Yep?" I replied, just a bit distracted by my own work.

"That's a really pretty song - but I think it also makes me a little sad," he continued.

Intrigued, I gave him my full attention, because I'd never heard someone describe a song about the return of Christ in His glory as ~~sad~~ . "Why do you say that?" I inquired.

"Well, because for us, it will be a really wonderful, awesome day. But what about all of our friends, all of the people here who don't know or understand about Jesus yet? There are so many of them...," This last thought was said in almost a whisper, his voice trailed off as he paused and exhaled softly before continuing. "It will be a sad and final day for them. I hope Jesus makes us all wait longer," he said gently and softly, hesitating as though he was concerned about my response.

But what sort of a response is there to what my son had just shared? What could I say? I didn't say much. I just walked over to where he was sitting, gave him a hug, kissed the top of his head, told him I loved him and sincerely thanked him for reminding me of that truth. And I also silently thanked the Lord. Such precious moment, for God gave me just a glimpse of how He's tendering the heart of this boy-child and growing him into a young man. It was like He snapped a polaroid, and handed it to me to enjoy... a tiny snapshot of how He is imprinting and developing His gentleness, His mercy, in the heart of this child He has entrusted to us - and as He continues to work, the details will come more and more evident and clearly into focus. Such a convicting moment, for God, who is worthy of all glory, never forgets those who still need to trust Him while I, in my busyness, my preoccupations, my hope for the future, so easily can.

These gentle words from my son were also words from the Savior, reminding me that while I wait in anticipation for His coming and longing for His future glory, I need to live and breathe His message and His mercy, the same mercy that He extends in the cross, that He extends in His tarrying...

-------------------------------- Last picture from Crafty Curate.

3 comments:

  1. Richelle,
    What a neat glimpse into what God is doing in the heart of your son!
    I know that's a huge encouragement as you seek to foster a heart that is tender towards God in all of your children.

    I ran a little test to see how long it took the background to load. It must be able to load quickly if you are able to see it in Niger so I'm not sure why it isn't loading quickly here. I waited for about 8 minutes and all the pictures and writing had come up but no background. Maybe you should ask someone else that you know reads the blog how it comes up on their computer because as you mentioned it might just be an isolated thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I thought to begin with that you were just posting the words to one of my favorite songs. Turns out you posted sooo much more. Wow, to see how God is preparing your son with compassion for people who do not know the gospel is amazing. Blesings to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a tender heart you are raising! I pray my boys will grow in their compassion just the same.
    PS- I like your pregnancy "ticker" way better than the scary one I used ;)

    ReplyDelete

Stop in for a chat! I love to hear what you have to say ~

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails